CONSULTANCY TO SUPPORT GREAT LAKES INITIATIVE FOR HUMAN RIGHTS AND DEVELOPMENT (GLIHD) WITH CONDUCTING A RIGHT BASED RESEARCH/STUDY TO ASSESS THE PERCEPTION OF YOUTH ADOLESCENTS ON THE NATIONAL FAMILY PLANNING /ADOLESCENTS SEXUAL REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH AND RIGHTS (FP/ASRHR) STRATEGIC PPLAN (2018-2024)
|Duty Station:||Kigali – Rwanda|
|Application Deadline:||June 7th, 2018|
|Type of Contract:||Consultancy Service Contract|
|Expected Duration of Assignment:||30 Days|
Great Lakes Initiative for Human Rights and Development is national non-governmental, human rights based and public interest organization registered and operating in Rwanda.
The government of Rwanda has come up with a new FP/ASRH&R 2018-2024 strategic plan that will be a blue print in the realization of sexual and reproductive health and rights however, as to whether the youths know of this strategic plan and its content or the extent of the awareness is not clear or if they were involved in the process is a question that needs answers.
Adolescents have a right to access to quality sexual and reproductive health services so that they can avoid the long term impacts on their wellbeing. In this regard, GLIHD plans to conduct a rights based study to assess the perceptions of the youth adolescents on the national Family planning/Adolescents Sexual Reproductive Health and Rights (FP/ASRHR) Strategic plan 2018-2024 and through the activity, rights holders will be empowered and the duty bearers will have the capacity and knowledge and this will lead to realization of sexual and reproductive health and rights amongst adolescent youths in Rwanda.
Overall objective of the assignment
The overall objective of the proposed consultancy is to provide technical support to GLIHD in conducting a right based study/research to assess the perceptions of the adolescent youth on the national Family planning/Adolescents SRHRs strategic plan 2018-2024 and prepare a report of the research findings that will be used to empower the rights holders (adolescent youths) to claim their rights from the duty bearers.
- A Right based report on the perceptions of the youth on the FP/ASHR (2018-2024) Strategic plan produced and disseminated to relevant stake holders.
- All human rights gaps in the implementation of the FP/ASHR 2018-2024 Strategic plan are identified and brought to the attention of the Government;
- Practical recommendations to address the identified gaps are formulated and communicated to key stakeholders, particularly the Government.
Scope of work/Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of GLIHD’s Executive Director and direct supervision of the GLIHD’s Programme Manager with the support of the GLIHD’s entire team the consultant will perform the following tasks:
- Review relevant document strategic plan to be able to understand the policy as it will form the basis of the study.
- Provide technical support to GLIHD during the data gathering and research analysis phase (Ex: either developing questionnaires, Focus group discussions, conducting interviews with the adolescents and youth in schools and universities);
- Conduct key informant interviews with relevant actors in the domain of Health, Adolescent sexual and reproductive health and rights, Family planning to assess sexual and reproductive rights protection, implementation of the policy / the previous one and monitoring; and
- Responsibility in drafting and finalizing the right based study while keeping GLIHD in close know of what is happening at every step like draft report reviewing.
- Produce a simplified summary of the content of the study of about 30-50 pages so that the youth familiarize themselves with the content of a study and are informed about the study they meaningfully participated in.
- Coming up with a sampling criterion of the study (for the geographical coverage) that will ably reflect the views and findings of the youth perceptions in Rwanda.
- Above all, ensure that the study process, methods of data collection, substantive content, and recommendations all incorporate the right based approaches (i.e stressing rights, identifying target groups and highlighting legal obligations etc.).Hence Participation, Accountability, on-discrimination, Empowerment and Normative frameworks as pillars of the rights based approach should be integrated in every step of the study from beginning to end.
Duration of the assignment
The duration of the consultancy will take a period of 30 days from day of signing the contract. It is anticipated that the work will commence on 8th June 2018 to the 6th July 2018
All deliverables should be submitted typed in English language. Upon the receipt of the deliverable draft document, GLIHD commits to review the document and be approved on time.
Required skills and experience
A Masters Degree in Human rights law or any related field with 5 years of working experience in human rights domain. Experience in conducting right based legal research and experience in working around Family planning/ Adolescent Sexual and reproductive health and rights is an added advantage.
Note: For consultancy firms, their track records should be demonstrated with evidence and CVs for individuals constituting the team that will be working on this specific work. Having worked on any rights based study on sexual and reproductive health and rights with knowledge on the Rwandan Legal and Policy framework will be an added advantage.
Proficiency in oral and written English; ability to communicate in Kinyarwanda and French would be an added advantage. The interested applicants must also show proof of being tax compliant and be able to provide EMB receipts for the payment.
Submission of application
Interested consultants/consultancy firms are requested to submit their applications including a letter of expression of interest, technical and financial proposals from individuals or firms with the relevant experience and qualifications.
Applicants are requested to submit their application package in two hard copies in sealed envelopes; two for technical proposal and two for financial proposal. Also, the two envelopes per each proposal (technical and financial) shall be put together in one envelope which will be sent to GLIHD’s following Physical Address: Nyarugenge, KN 123 ST 122, Circle Sportif-Nyamirambo Road. The application letter is addressed to the Executive Director. Note that, electronic application will not be accepted.
Deadline for submission
The deadline for application is set on 7h June 2018 at 5:00pm
Kigali on 25th May 2018