POSITION: Rwanda Country Director (DBA: Inkomoko Managing Director)
TERM: Minimum 1year commitment with 3 month probationary period
LOCATION: Kigali, Rwanda
COMPENSATION: Commensurate with experience
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
At African Entrepreneur Collective (AEC) we believe that the most pressing problems in Africahave solutions that already exist on the continent;African entrepreneurs know best the needs of their local communities and are constantly creating, testing, and scaling innovative solutions. AEC exists to unlock the power of these entrepreneurs to transform their continent. Our goal is to identify and support a network of more than 3,000 entrepreneurs in 7 countries by 2022.
AEC is a collection of business accelerators and incubators that offersbusiness education, mentorship, technical support and access to affordable capital to entrepreneurs. To date, we have worked with over 200 entrepreneurs who have generated 700 new jobs (and counting!) for others in their communities. Inkomoko Entrepreneur Development is AEC’s flagship accelerator program in Rwanda, and supports nearly 100 local entrepreneurs per year.
Driven by the success we’ve had in Rwanda, AEC has recently launched in Tanzania, and we are as passionate and committed as ever to our goals for growth.
THE OPPORTUNITY & RESPONSIBILITIES
AEC seeks a highly talented and passionate Rwandan Country Director (DBA: Inkomoko Managing Director) to ensure the organization’s success and growth. This leader will manageAEC’s operations in Kigali,developing thehighest quality programming for our clients, working effectively with prominent local andinternational partners and funders, and helping AEC grow our leadership role in the entrepreneurial community in Rwanda. The Managing Director will report to AEC’sChief Operating Officer.
|STRATEGY & MANAGEMENT (60% time)
· Supervise and manage all Rwanda-based staff – currently a talented team of 18 staff from across East Africa – helping them to betheir best professional selves.
· Set and align staff workplanswith organizational goals and objectives
· Work closely with AEC’s Board of Directors and Inkomoko’sAdvisory Boards.
· Collaborate with future AEC partners to best replicate AEC programming in additional countries.
· Oversee company evaluations/metrics, and advise AEC Executive Director on strategic initiatives to fortify the programs’ impact.
FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT & REVENUE GENERATION (25% time)
· Manage the Inkomoko annual budget of approximately 450,000 USD
· Supervise the Director of Operations and Finance to track and report financial information, and sign-off on monthly reconciliation process.
· Participate in annual audit with the Board of Directors.
· Actively solicit new contracts in line with our skills and vision, confirm scope of work, and allocate resources for effective project management.
· Work with AEC to identify and cultivate current and potential donors, including foundations, high net-worth individuals and others.
· Serve as an in-country point-of-contact for institutional contracts, including billing, contract execution, etc
· Participate in the AEC Rwanda Trustee loan fund meetings as a strategic advisor and high-level partner in this earned revenue stream
PARTNERSHIPS & ENGAGING EXTERNAL STAKEHOLDERS (15% time)
· Develop and manage the Inkomoko advisory board of leaders from across Rwanda
· Represent Inkomoko at ministry meetings, conferences, and other public speaking engagements as a leader in the entrepreneurial ecosystem
· Develop and maintain relevant high-level partnerships and collaborations to build a pipeline of partners for recruitment, lending, and mentorship.
· Support to other AEC sister programs, including expansion programs to other African countries
We are looking for acommitted and experienced individual in the field of entrepreneurship development. The successful candidatemustunderstand the landscape of SME development in Rwanda and have the network, skills and strategic vision to grow the organization. It is imperative to be able to navigate fast-paced and resource-constrained environments with enthusiasm, patience, and imagination.
- 7+ years experience in relevant or applicable field, with strong preference for individuals working in Africa with SMEs, entrepreneurship, investment
- Deep commitment to Inkomoko’s strategies in support of AEC’s mission, vision, and culture
- Self-starter, with proven ability to produce results within budget and time deadlines
- Proven track record of leadership, planning and management responsibilities
- Significant experience of staff supervision in a senior management role
- Fluent in English, with strong preference for working proficiency in French and Kinyarwanda
- Unrelenting perseverance, personal integrity, and critical thinking skills
- Must have own computer and cell phone
- Advanced education qualifications required (MBA strongly preferred)
All of our staff embody our organizational culture, and the successful candidate will also:
|· Communicate effectively locally and internationally|
|· Maintains local and international performance standards|
|· Effectively support each team member and inspire each other to do better|
|· Be collaborative and solicitous of others’ opinions|
|· Be a leader in the local entrepreneurial community|
|· Be kind, compassionate, empathetic, and fun|
|· Find freedom within a framework|
|· Commit to our vision and values|
|· Be willing to put in the time it takes to do a great job|
|· Be solutions-oriented and creative|
|· Be committed to continuously learning and growing|
Send your resume/CV and cover letter with salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org by 15 March 2016. Please include “Inkomoko Managing Director” in the email subject line.